1. It is almost ten years since Hong Kong r_______ to China in 1997.
2. --- I’m going to Hainan on vacation.
--- Really? I h_______ you will have a good time.
3. Monday is the s_______ day of a week, not the first day.
4. The more carefully you do your homework, the f ________mistakes you will make.
5. Li Yuchun is very p_______ now. Many young people say she is a super star.
Three rich ladies met every day by the river. They sat there and talked the whole day. Once the three ladies quarreled. One of them said. “Look, how white and beautiful my hands are!” Another one said, “My hands are more beautiful. “ The third one said, “Mine are the most beautiful ones. “ An old beggar woman came up to them. “Beautiful ladies,” she said, “I’m old and can’t work, I’m hungry. Please give me something to eat. “
But the three ladies gave her nothing. They only asked, “Tell me, old woman, which one of us has the most beautiful hands?”
A peasant (农民) woman was also sitting by the river. She was poor and her hands were rough be-cause of hard work. The old woman came up to her and said, “I’m hungry. Please give me something to eat. “ The peasant woman took out her only cake she had and gave her a half.
The old woman ate it and drank some water. Then she took the peasant woman by the hand, brought her before the rich ladies and said, “Now, I shall tell you whose hands are the most beautiful. The hands of the poor peasant woman are rough because of work, but they give us food; they are far more beautiful than your hands which have never done anything. “
1. The three ladies .
A. had a quarrel every day B. were rich but unkind
C. had a talk about their hands every day D. lived by the side of the river
2. The old woman asked for something to eat, .
A. but none of the three rich ladies gave anything to her
B. but only one of the three ladies gave her half a cake
C. because she wanted to know whose hands were beautiful
D. because she wanted to know which lady was the richest
3. The peasant woman’s hands were not so white as the three ladies’ .
A. because of the hard work she had done
B. but she was stronger than any of them
C. so she didn’t quarrel with the three ladies
D. but she was more beautiful than any of them
4. The old woman said that the peasant woman’s hands were more beautiful than the three ladies’ because .
A. she liked dark hands better than white hands
B. the peasant woman gave her half a cake
C. her hands had worked hard to provide food for people
D. the three ladies didn’t give her anything to eat
5. Which of the following is the best tide for the passage?
A. Half a Cake B. A Peasant Woman’s Hands
C. The Rich Woman’s Hands D. Smooth (光滑的) Hands and Rough Hands